Welcome to Oscar's Odd Blog!

Marquee

Posts to come! Possibly

Blank, eh?

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Reviewing "A Work of Art"

Well, my friend and I were chatting on MSN one day (yes, a lot of people chat on MSN these days) and he said that since we like the same music (he likes Muse too. What a surprise!), we can try swapping other things we like and see what we thought of it. Of course, he already made his mix. I was making mine, and I called it "The Mix". He called his "A Work of Art". Finally, we have to review each other's mix. Now, I'm no genius at criticism, but I think that I'm okay with reviewing. This is his song tracklist: (He also had one Muse and Coldplay song, but since we both like Muse and Coldplay, we took it out)
(I bet you've never heard of half of these bands) (The song name goes first and then the band name after. i.e. The Pie Song-The Pie People) (I am using a lot of brackets)


1. Try Me-Of a Revolution
2. Disarm-Smashing Pumpkins
3. No Line on the Horizon-U2 (Probably one band you heard of)
4. Nude-Radiohead (Another band you've heard of?)
5. Human-The Killers
6. Kid-The Living End
7. Interlude-Your Damien Grace
8. Falling Down-Oasis
9. Substitution-Silversun Pickups
10. Wheels-Foo Fighters
11. A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds to Mars
12. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor-Arctic Monkeys
13. Dani California-Red Hot Chili Peppers (I was surprised by this one, too)

Now, on to the review, which is probably going to take me a while.

1. Try Me-Of a Revolution

There are 10/13 bands that I've heard of in this mix that I've heard of before this mix. This is not one of them. The first track of "A Work of Art". The chorus is very catchy. The tune is good, too

7/10

2. Disarm-Smashing Pumpkins

It starts with acoustic guitar, and gets into more instruments as the song progresses. The chorus is really good, too.

8/10

3. No Line on the Horizon-U2

U2 wasn't a group that I really liked, but this song is great. I was surprised to find out that this was from their 12th studio album, which was released about a year ago. Believe it or not, U2 originally started in Ireland, in 1976. The guitar tune is catchy, and so are the lyrics.

9/10

4. Nude-Radiohead

Well, isn't this an unusual song. It starts with this melody, with the singer singing in high falsetto. Then, the bass comes in. Finally, the lyrics, which are kind of slurred, so I can't really make them out. Radiohead isn't something I'm a fan of, but this is alright. It repeats the phrase "Can't put the needle in" a lot though. At least, that's what the lyrics site says.

7/10

5. Human-The Killers

WOW. First, there's this really good tune, which I have no idea what instrument plays it, then the lyrics. The "Are we human, or are we dancers" part at the end of the chorus is probably the best.

9/10

6. Kid-The Living End

Wow, it sort of sounds like a kids show tune. Perfect title, eh? But, the lyrics say "Keep it up, keep it up, you're gonna kill the kid". This sounds nothing like the first song I heard of by The Living End, which is "Prisoner of Society", which was like this super hard rock song, and then this, all of a sudden becomes mellow. Nonetheless, it's still pretty good.

8/10

7. Interlude-Your Damien's Grace

It doesn't really have much to do with "Kid", but it does kind of link up to the next song, not really though, but it sounds really cool. It sounds like a spacey sort of tune. First there's this tune which is sort of like on endless repeat, and then a bell and bass comes in. Like I said, it sounds really cool.

8/10

8. Falling Down-Oasis

A sort of relaxing tune at the beginning, but after the static noise. Then, the drums and acoustic guitars come in. The lyrics are good and the tune is even better.

9/10

9. Substitution-Silversun Pickups

The beginning, I swear, sounds exactly like "Don't Panic-Coldplay". The lyrics are great. The first stanza is already great:

There's a vulture perching right off screen
And it's bitter and whispers chaotic things
And it reached in quick ain't it worrying
It's so easy to see, everyone can agree, stop listening


See?


9/10


10. Wheels-Foo Fighters

Nice intro to the song, chorus is really catchy.

8/10

11. A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds to Mars

A quiet piano intro, and then the basic electric guitar and drums and that stuff. The fact that it can be from quiet to loud all of a sudden makes the song really good.

7/10

12. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor-Arctic Monkeys

I really like the intro, and it works well in this fast-paced song. The lyrics are pretty good, too.

8/10

13. Dani California-Red Hot Chili Peppers

Starts with drum, then adds guitar and bass. This type of music is seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. The guitar and bass are pretty cool, and the lyrics are pretty directed to USA.

8/10

Well, the mix was pretty good overall, some are better than others of course.

Overall score: 8/10

I guess that's all from my terrible review. My friend is unbelievably lucky that I'm terrible at reviewing things. I just score too lightly. Anyways, I guess that's all. Now, I have to wait for my friend to hurry up with his review for my mix. Oh, here's the tracklist:


1. Aggro-The Enemy
2. A Place for My Head-Linkin Park
3. I'm Just a Kid-Simple Plan (explicit, watch out)
4. All the Right Moves-OneRepublic
5. Munich-The Editors
6. Dance, Dance-Fall Out Boy
7. The River-Good Charlotte
8. Prisoner of Society-The Living End (Remember them?)
9. Remembering Sunday-All Time Low
10. Use Somebody-Kings of Leon

Making this mix was also the first time I ever tried Photoshop, and actually succeeded, or at least, finish it without failing miserably. That's all. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger