Welcome to Oscar's Odd Blog!

Marquee

Posts to come! Possibly

Blank, eh?

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Shepherd's Granddaughter

So, I have just read "The Shepherd's Granddaughter" a couple of days ago, and, from the letter, I was expecting a lot of violence. Okay, not really, but at least a little more than what was actually in the book. I also read the letter by...uh...let's see....Brian Henry against the book. I really liked the book, and I don't really think that they should ban it. It is fiction isn't it? It's not supposed to be real. Even though it's close. Reading the book gave me a feel about what the letter was talking about. I agree with Peter Carver, from the article "Not wise to ban children's book", who says that "Young readers are eager to engage with world issues. We are the next generation to make a change. We can help. Just like global warming right? On a personal opinion, I think that it's only the Palestinian view, and it's biased because of that. It's because of the fact that most of the Israelis that they have met or seen were destroying land of theirs. Now, it could be because of the terrorists that they were destroying property, but Amani knows that not all Israelis are attacking Palestinian land. She knows the rabbi, who does go against this attack. So, even from a Palestinian's viewpoint, What Amani's uncle said ("No Israeli is innocent") is probably very biased and absolutely not true. So, in the end, I'd have to agree with both sides, but this book should not be banned. Young readers need to know what is happening in the world. I can say this myself, because until the speech competition, I didn't know about this problem. I explored it even deeper when I was reading the book. I'll give a short summary to answer Mr. Gould's questions.

Overall, I think that the book "The Shepherd's Granddaughter" should not be withdrawn from the Red Maple competition. It is directed at YA readers, and we should know about what's happening to teens around our age in the world. Overall, everyone should have the right to decide what gets put on the Red Maple competition, but if that's not possible, then I would trust whoever is currently deciding what gets put in Red Maple, because they have given us different perspectives from all over the world, like in Ireland, Uganda, and Israel, from Lunch with Lenin, Greener Grass, The Shepherd's Granddaughter, After, and War Brothers. I think that the YA readers themselves should decide whether a book should be put in a library or not. We should have a trusted judgment, because other readers like us are going to read those same books, and we all would have almost the same perspective.

Anyways, that's over 200 words, but definitely not a wrap up yet. That was the end of the official post. You can stop here if you want.

Because you've been reading my dead-serious post, I've decided to lighten the mood a little. I will think of 15 random music artists (NO JUSTIN BIEBER OR ANY OF THAT DISNEY STUFF) in 2 minutes. READY. SET. GO!

Ok, done, with about 10 seconds left on the clock. Here they are!

Muse
Coldplay
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Silversun Pickups
Wintersleep
Billy Talent
Nickelback
The Killers
Oasis
Foo Fighters
Arctic Monkeys
The Fray
U2
Jimmy Eat World

Now, the entertaining part. Aren't you lucky that they aren't all alternative. I will think of one song for each of these artists. No, I'm not timing this. It's not like you're getting the feel of me being timed anyways. That was just to challenge me.

4 comments:

  1. BILLY TALENT. im starting to like them :O
    i love the song Saint Veronica. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about how we should be more actively involved in worldly issues! Also, I agree that a book like this should not be banned for people deserves the right to know. By banning this book, people are just trying to hide an important part of history from the future generation, and besides, by banning the book, people would raise controversy someday again over said topic. So why not just let everything be and leave the book alone and respect the Freedom of Information act?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that it shouldn't be banned but one thing I can't siimply agree on is that JUSTIN BIEBERis awesome :D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oscar, this is a well thought out entry, until the end. Your words about the book are quite accurate. I agree that students your age can certainly begin to engage in discussions about world issues like those raised in this book. I am glad you also liked the book. Well Done.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger